Friday, August 8, 2008

Who needs gondolas when you have statistics to take you where you want to go?

One of my favorite pictures, this has become my computer and phone wallpaper.

1,000: The number of American dollars I began my trip with.
979: The number of pictures Nora and I took.
877: The number of sporchi touristi we dodged each day.
609: The number of Euros those dollars turned into.
120: The number of hours I should have slept during my visit.
90: The average temperature, in Fahrenheit.
83: The number of glass necklaces I wanted to buy.
75: The number of hours I actually did sleep during my visit.
73: The number of times I said, "Mmmmmmm" while eating or drinking.
43: The number of women we would have "given the paper" to, had we been in charge.
32.22222: The average temperature, in Celsius.
23: The number of spritzes Nora and I had. Okay, I'm guessing.
22: The number of church bells ringing at 6:00 each day. Okay, I'm still guessing.
18: The number of embarrassing things Nora made me do because it "would be good" for me. Yup. Still guessing.
17: The number of pictures Nora took of beautiful flowers close up or hanging from a window ledge.
And here are just two

15: The number of times Nora complained in Italian to a shopkeeper about how I could never make up my mind ( I might be exaggerating this one).
14: The number of times Nora quizzed me about which direction the boat we were waiting for should be pointing, or what stop we wanted.
12: The number of times I allowed the Bialetti coffee maker to overflow onto the stovetop.
11: The number of times I answered a quiz question incorrectly.
10: The average number of times I woke up during the night because it was too quiet.
9: The hour at which the neighbors start closing their shutters against the scary night air. Even when it's 93 degrees. Or almost 34 degrees Celsius.
8: The number of pictures we took of clocks.
The clock at the Arsenale

7: The average number of times in a night that winged insects dive-bombed my ear, waking me up from a semi-sound sleep.
6: The number of Venetian/Murano glass necklaces I returned with.
5: The number of Nora's family I saw who I knew by name.
3: The number of "meats of death" I ate on a regular basis: speck, sopressa and mortadella.
3: The number of dresses I had, thank goodness!
3: The number of phrases coined during this trip.
2: The number of times I was dressed inappropriately and therefore "given the paper" or "given the scarf."
2: The number of gerbils I met, the appropriately named Thunder and Lightning, who were both very noisy and bright.
1: Number of rings and balsamic vinegar I lost.
0: The number of gondolas I rode on.
A gondola cruising past the Fenice opera house

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me smile and twitch (that's how you know I am sad)at the same time.
I will miss your blaaaaaagh because, while it was still opus imperfecta, it seemed like you were still in the kitchen, and we were waiting for spritz time.
It has been a visit neither of us will forget. Being Virgil was a lot of fun.
PS The numbers of sporchi turisti who should be given the paper has increased exponentially.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.