Thursday, July 24, 2008

Just how many pictures of spritz is too many?

Crossing the pontoon bridge to Chiesa dell SS. Redentore
Strangely enough, I'm sitting in a hotel on the 48th floor, overlooking the Olympic Park in Atlanta, Georgia, posting one of the last, entries on my trip to Venice.

As I mentioned, Nora and I visited three synagogues in the Jewish ghetto in her neighborhood. That night, however, we had our final two spritzes at the gelateria in the San Stefano campo, and we joined the masses of humanity crossing the pontoon bridge to Redentore. I believe my most frequent comment was, "Woo hoo! We're on the bridge!"
Boats in position to watch the gondola races
We paused at the arch of the bridge to watch the swarm of boats that had gathered to watch the gondola race. When we finally made it across, we didn't do much more than buy two t-shirts to commemorate the occasion. Nora's is one that shows the recipe for a spritz, and mine has a funky fish with a tail notched in six for the six sestiere of Venice.
Gondola races
Hot, tired and full of spritz, we wandered back home so I could pack and relax for a bit. Relaxing ended up watching two episodes of Black Adder on DVD.

Even though I dutifully went to bed at 11:30, in preparation for my getting up at 6:00 to catch my 9:30 a.m. flight, I spent much of the night swatting bugs that attacked me from the screenless window, repacking my suitcase, losing my little emerald ring somehow and desperately searching for it throughout the apartment, and emailing my daughter who kept saying things like, "Mom! It's 3:30 in the morning! Go to sleep now!"

Not one of my better night's sleep, but I can always sleep when I'm dead. Or on an airplane.

The last spritzes of the trip . . .

. . . and a little movie of the crowds and the bells at S. Stefano, as Nora and I enjoyed our final spritz. I especially enjoy Nora noticing that I'm taking another movie, waiting for me to swoop around and capture her on film. Unfortunately, all I have of her is her voice, and her hand reaching for chips.

No comments: