Monday, July 7, 2008

Pontee deelay goo yay and other points of interest i can't pronounce


Strangely enough, this posting begins with two photos of gondolas. Notice, however, that while I'm not allowed to ride them, no one said I couldn't photograph them.

After spending an hour awake at three in the morning, I got back to sleep about four and then slept until eight. The first order of business for the day (after yogurt and what Nora calls fake espresso), we went to get an adaptor for my computer. This was easy except that the store was full of tourists who admitted to blowing up a shaver and hairdryer this morning. Nora made the mistake of saying something to me in English, and the tourists pounced on her for help. She kindly explained the problem and was thanked profusely. Meanwhile, the clerk had been explaining just fine, in English, as we entered. . . so my computer is now happily charged to 98% and still going.

After the electronics store, we continued walking where I took pictures of San Marco, various bridges, churches, doorbells, graffitti, wrought iron railings, gondolas and interesting doors mere inches above the water. Frankly, I can't keep it all straight yet. At one point, Nora asked me, "Are you completely lost yet?" There was no need for me to respond, since she (and everyone else I'm close to) knows I have no sense of direction. Venice is full of twisty streets, alleys, bridges and, obviously, canals. And it is much bigger than I ever thought. I'll see how well I can get around after two weeks, but I don't have much hope!

Things I have learned so far:

Financial
1. At the bank, you have to open one door and wait for it to close completely before the other, inside, doors will open. This is either to keep robbers out, or in. We're not sure.

2. It doesn't really matter what order you stand in line; the next person helped might be you, or it might be someone who just happened to walk in, not having waited for thirty minutes in the un-airconditioned bank. But they will speak kindly to you as they jump line, and you will respond in kind.

3. $500 American equals about a buck fifty Euro.

Later, in a bar
Nora: You can go pay for our spritzes.*
Me: What? (handing her 10 Euro) Here.
Nora (pushing it back): No, you can do it.
Me (heavy sigh): Fine.
Nora (speaking to the bartender in Italian): So my friend here is afraid to talk to you because she doesn't know Italian.
Me: Hey! (trying to hand the bartender the 10 E. as Nora snickers)
Nora: You should use the coins.
Me: I know it costs 3,50, but I don't know which coin is which.
Nora (hyper-patiently picking the coins out of my hand and explaining as she does): This is a Euro, this is a Euro, this is a 50 cent . . .
Me: That's not fair since I can't even read what's on the coins without my glasses!
Bartender (saying something back to Nora, as they both commiserate over my patheticness)
Bartender (to me): Buona sera.
Me (trying to channel my inner Italian) : Buona sera.
Bartender (to me): Bravissima!

*A drink supposedly begun in Venice consisting of prosecco, bitters, seltzer and a large olive.

Geographic
1. Campi, calli and ponti are plentiful here (squares, streets and bridges). Every single one has a name, which Nora quizzes me on regularly.

Nora: Huth, which bridge is the one we turn at to go to the apartment?
Me: What? Are you kidding? I have no clue.
Nora (heavy sigh): It's this one right here.
Me (sneakily spotting the sign but realizing I can't pronounce the name anyway): Um, pon . .
Nora (in elegant Italian and a heavy sigh): It's the ponte delle Guglie. Now say it.
Me: What? Why?
Nora: Because it's good for you. You can say it.
Me: Pon tee day la . . . .
Nora: Goo yay.
Me (obediently): Goo yay.
Nora: See? That wasn't hard.
Me: Um, yes it was, a little.

1 comment:

Erin Mallory said...

I have to say, I love when you put things in play form.