Monday, July 14, 2008

Beautiful places I can't take pictures of

Today, in between storms, we visited the Palazzo Ducale, an immense and beautiful structure that is in San Marco. Because Nora and I both had passes, she had the sense to ask a docent whether we needed to wait in line. We probably did anyway, but he very kindly lifted the gate and allowed us to cut the line. It was a beautiful thing, indeed. We were not allowed to take pictures inside, but I'm not sure any picture I could have taken would have done it justice. The rooms were filled with paintings by Titian and Tintoretto, among others, incredibly detailed gold and fresco ceilings, enormous fireplaces, and marble floors. In lieu of further description, I will include these pictures, mostly from the upper windows, which show at least the outside and the views from inside.

View from the Bridge of Sighs inside the prison.

Window inside the palace at the top of the Scala Dei Giganti

Detail of outside staircase (see first two pictures)

Later, we visited the Basilica Santa Maria Gloriosa Dei Frari, and among other things, lighted candles and saw Titian's Assumption behind the altar. Another beautiful place that did not allow pictures, understandably.

Finally, tired and dry, we stopped at our favorite place for a spritz. Well, two actually. I've decided, having tried three of the four types, that I like the traditional one made with Cinzano, the best. Unfortunately for me, Schenectady has not yet made the spritz its drink of choice. I believe it's just a matter of time, though.

No comments: